Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Waiver of Credit Card Late Payment Fees

You have used you credit card instead of your debit card to gain those extra points.
You have been meticulous in paying the credit card bill just before the due date so as the avoid the late payment fees.
Your credit history has been good...
Till one fine day, you miss the credit card minimum due amount payment deadline..
In one shot, you loose all the bonus points that you had gathered till now ..

Late payment of credit card dues can be a costly affair.. And I realised that recently ..

Since I was travelling, I did not remember that I had to pay my credit card bills ..
And BAM! .. Rs 700 of late payment fees on my HDFC credit card .. Rs 300 on my citibank credit card ..

Not to worry .. I sent a mail to the customer care of both the credit card divisions, requesting them the reverse the late payment fees as well as the interest fees and I was lucky enough to get the waiver.. The amount will now be credited back to my card ..

Here is the mail that I had written :

Date: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 12:20 PM
To: India Service (indiaservice@citi.com)
Subject: Late Payment. Credit card ending 2007
Dear Sir / Madam,
This month, I did not remember to pay my Citibank payment by the payment due date. I remembered this today and made a payment immediately. Since this is the first time I have made this mistake in 3 years, is it possible for you to kindly relieve me of the late payment fees ?

I would definitely appreciate a favorable response from your end.

Thanking you,
Vijay

Response :

Credit Card blah blah

We wish to inform you that, with a commitment towards greater customer satisfaction we have reversed the Late payment Charges of Rs. 700.00. The corresponding Service Tax will be automatically reversed. The above reversal will reflect in your next monthly statement.

Similar was the case with HDFC bank credit card division too.

It helps if you create a reminder on your mobile phone / outlook as soon as you recieve the credit card bill so that you dont miss the payment..

AND

If it is the first time that you have paid beyond the due date, it is worth giving requesting a waiver a try ..
It is just an e-mail after all ..

1 comment:

Anand said...

worked the first time for me with ICICI bank. Called up customer service and they waived it. Didnt work the second time though :(