Monday, June 02, 2008

Bought a bike. Ready to go

The bike, a 2003 pulsar (non DTSI , non alloy wheels, non kickstart) cost be 28,600 (This includes 750 Rs as insurance, 1000 Rs as commission, 450 Rs as registration charges). I bargained with the owner o reduce the price from 29,000 to 26,600.
The odometer reading has been manipulated, so I don’t know how many KM it has run. No idea of the mileage (trying to figure that out now), the RPM meter malfunctions and the idlng RPM has been set to 4,000 (2,200 should be ideal).
Meter has started, and I am in the process of learning the bike internals at present. I intend to use this mike for long distance rides, and the target would be to make a trip to Kolhapur from Bangalore (600 km one way on NH4).

Actually, it is always better to buy a bike directly from the owner as you can save the commission. But you can do this only if you have the ability to gauge the condition of the bike and judge the price of the bike correctly. I feel that I paid a bit more for the bike (I had started with a budge of 25,000!), but since I have already bought it, it is okay.

Here are a few tips that I found useful:

Mouthshut

60kph

btw, I bought the bike from Minerva circle. You will find a lot of shops selling used bikes there. Do check for the Road tax papers and the RC book before buying the bike. It is always good to take along a friend who is knowledgeable about bikes.


No comments: